Thursday 25 April 2013

Freelance copywriting or not?

Writing for me is like revealing my creativity and using it for creating something. Not so long I was playing a little with the idea of becoming a copywriter, so I started to read forums about it. I've met someone who's into this profession and I thought I'd interview her, then share it with you.

I would like to mention that I was thinking about copywriting as an alternative money-making option, but didn't know if I'm ready to give up my freelance career, so I asked Diana if it's worth it.
She explained that she has started freelancing about 7 months ago after deciding to give up her 9-5 job (she was a content writer for a website about fashion, lifestyle and beauty). So, with the knowledge and experience gained as a writer, it seemed a fun idea to her to write articles for different people from all over the world.

The Office Beatnik: How did you become a freelance writer?

Diana: I've always loved writing, so it quickly became my primary means of expression. After graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in English, I knew I wanted to write and give voice to my creativity. I've been a translator, then I started to write articles about fashion and beauty. It was a 9-5 job and after a while I felt that I wanted to work by my own rules. I am working for clients from Freelancer.com 

The Office Beatnik: What are you writing about right now?

Diana: People ask me to write about different things. I often write reviews for diet pills, various beauty products, SEO articles for different websites, IT, lifestyle articles or articles promoting different travel destinations.

The Office Beatnik: How many working hours do you have in a week?

Diana: It depends. In the past couple of months I had the chance to work 40-44 hours per week. However, the time I spend with freelance writing depends on the complexity of the various projects.

The Office Beatnik: Do you stick to a strict schedule?

Diana: The greatest advantage offered by freelance writing is that I can organize my schedule for the week. In the past I had a similar job, so I know how to organize my schedule to work more efficiently.

The Office Beatnik: Could you give me some pros and cons of being a freelance writer?

Diana: The pros: you have the freedom to organize your schedule; you can run your own business from home; you can charge different prices from different people; your work is really versatile and fascinating.

The cons: you are deprived from any chances of socializing if you work from home; you might meet people who want to steal your content instead of paying for it.


Well, that's a pretty objective opinion about copywriting, but I think I'll stick to the busy life at office and keep blogging. At least for a while. Until then, a nice job post from 1964.

(Image from Bentlocker)

No comments :

Post a Comment